Thought-provoking/moment of inspiration....
So I've been thinking a lot about people in general. Just peoples' tendencies and actions, and how people choose to do what they do. Now, I think I have a theory on the nature of people as a whole.
People are easily divided in halves. Perhaps, more specifically, almost all the time people can be categorized as one of two things. Take politics. We're either liberal or conservative, basically. Neither has significantly more merits than the other. It's just what appeals on an individual basis. Now I know some people will say "But some people are neither! Some people are genuinely neither on the political scale!" I say bullshit. People who say they aren't one or the other are either lying to be cool or just to pussy to pick a side. Religion also has these two categories. Either you're a theist or an atheist. You either believe in god(s) or you don't. Or being straight or gay. Either you like doing guys or girls. Or you like both (but mostly, people are more one or the other).
Now I've come to realize two categories that have to do with one's intellectual side. Some people think they know everything (especially people who are good at one subject and/or can remember little, inconsequential details), and others try to learn something from everything they do; they believe that they don't really know anything. You're either one or the other. We all know the people who fit the first category... they like to prove that they are right all the time, and they pretend that they are somehow above the rules or better than everyone else because they're so smart/talented/well read etc. Then the second category encompasses the people who don't try to show off. they genuinely like to do things and don't try to put themselves on a higher pedestal than anyone else. They believe that everyone is equally valid/invalid, and they usually have fresh outlooks on things. The best leaders I have met are people who look at leading as a learning experience. Maryory is a great example of this kind of leader. She's the concertmaster in my orchestra and she doesn't try and make everyone feel lower than her. She's genuinely concerned with the orchestra and tries to help out as much as she can. My Dad is another great leader who fits the second category. He doesn't profess to know everything about everything, and if someone can think of another way to do something, he's not opposed to them getting it done their way.
So I guess the question one should ask himself is "Which category am I?" I'd like to think that I'm part of the second category, but I'm not all the time. Especially when I get frustrated, I can fall into the first category really easily.
Which one are you?
(comments, anyone?)

2 Comments:
from jeff haines
im the mean one
Hi. You know me... I'm your other half.
You also know that I am definately a "category 2" person. I'm constantly saying that I'm not smart enough to do anything. I learn by doing things every day. I still don't feel as smart as most people though. I think I have more common sense... but as for quick facts, stats and school subjects... I'm pretty useless there. What it really boils down to though is... at least I'm not stupid enough to vote for Bush.....
Post a Comment
<< Home