Saturday, August 28, 2004

Goings on...

So I've been in Winchester for several days now. And what an eventful few days it has been!

The freshmen moved in on Tuesday. The main thing I noticed wasn't the activity on campus, but instead the totally full-up parking lot at Wal Mart (Stef and I made a Pier 1/Target trip for the upstairs loft). I've met a few freshmen violinists, Yumi and Elissa (hoping I spelled their names right). They're really nice. Yumi is from Japan, right outside Tokyo, and she is REALLY good. And really nice, too. So far I've got a good opinion of the incoming freshmen violinists.

I'm really excited about lessons and the like this year. Marc and Olivia have decided to have a "performance class" on Wednesdays at 4. Attendence is mandatory for all majors. It's basically whenever anyone has something prepared, we all come and watch them perform it. I think it's a fantastic idea.

Then there's orchestra. The first concert should be hardcore awesome. We're doing Bizet, Schnittke (with Marc and Olivia), and Stravinsky. Oh man! We're also doing Beethoven 5 later on, and Sandor is doing variations on Paganini. Should be hardcore to the max! Jan also talked to me about doing Kammermusik players in the spring (and possibly doing a tour with them over Spring Break). That's exciting. I'm hoping last year's trend continues and that Jan continues to notice my hard work and gives me opportunities accordingly. I'm sure he will though. He's very fair. Actually, he's really the first fair conductor/music director I've worked with in an orchestral setting. He doesn't really play favorites, but just places you by ability and seniority (but even he admits he has to put the upperclassmen up front). He's a cool guy.

I'm also going to be playing musicals again (groan). Actually, I take that back. I'm really happy to be able to get all the pit experience I'm getting here. I don't think I'd be able to play so many shows, much less play for a professional pit orchestra at any other school. And Dr. Albert and Dr. Keating are pretty cool, too.

Well, that's all for now! I'll update soon, or, if you're at SU... see you in class (or in the practice rooms)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home