Tuesday, April 13, 2004

an update.

So I tried to put an entry in here the other day, but for some reason it wouldn't publish... shit. It was a good one too. Naturally I didn't save it, so here we are.

I've got three concerts to play this weekend. A baroque concert with Chamber Orch, the concerto competition concert with Symphony, and Stef's voice recital. So, another busy weekend for yours truly.

Corrie and Ed's show went well. They were really well together all of tech week, so they knew their stuff solid by the time their show went up on Saturday. It was good, and I must say they had a damn good violinist/violist. I mean, this guy tore it the fuck up! Plus, I made a great connection with the pianist; he said that he'd use me for any shows that he's playing next year (which will probably be a lot), which means that (hopefully) I'll have a semi-steady source of income next year from these shows.

I have a lesson this Friday night at 8pm. I'll be working on the stuff for my jury in three(?) weeks. I'm not sure if she'll have me do the Khachaturian for it because she said she wanted me to have it at a performance level for my jury, which it is most certainly not yet. I'll probably clean it up over the summer instead of playing it for a jury.

I'm trying to decide what I want to play next. I mean, I know I'm going to be working on the Mozart A Major concerto this summer/fall. I want to do some Bach, too. But I haven't heard all of the sonatas and partitas yet, so I don't know which one I want to play. I know definitely not the D minor or E major. EVERYONE here plays them. I honestly haven't heard anyone play any others. It seems that way with a lot of people here, they play a lot of the same things. I'm trying to break away from the Lalo, Bach, and etc that people like to play here. I'm playing the Khachaturian, which, granted, Enrique played last semester, but Olivia wanted me to do something that I could play for a competition, which means a modern/less frequently played piece. Thus, instead of starting with a Mozart or a Romantic concerto, she suggested either Khachaturian or Kabalevsky. I of course chose Khachaturian because the Kabalevsky is a piece of crap. Hopefully sometime in the next few years I'll be playing Bartok #2, Beethoven, or Tchaikovsky. Those are some great concerti. That and a Mozart sonata or two. And maybe a couple showpieces, Saint-Saens, Kreisler, Sarasate? I don't know. I definitely want to play either Tambourin Chinois, Intro and Rondo Capriciosso, or Zigeunerweisen (i know it's spelled wrong).

Anywho, gotta get ready for rehearsal and the like. I'll try and update more frequently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home